Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Baguio Chronicles - Chapter 3: Food and Dining

(taken from my Multiply Blog dated May 6, 2010)

I love to eat... well I love to experiment with food. My time in Baguio led to different places... food particularly.

O'Mai Khan is a Mongolian inspired resto... it is located near the Rizal Monument right next to Burnham Park. My first encounter with O'Mai Khan was way back in 2002. They have an eat-all-you-can Mongolian Bowl which starts off at 195.00 per person. hehe... it was really satisfying and you get to put flavor to your food according to how you want it to be... (pics of O'Mai Khan downloaded from the blog of "TANYA SPEAKS." I wasn't able to get pics of the place... sorry...)





It was in Baguio that I got to taste something unique..."Strawberry Taho." In Manila the syrup used to give this soy delicacy was caramelized sugar together with mini-tapioca (arnibal and sago). Anyway, in Wright Park, when we were taking our stroll we saw taho vendors around. We joked around and asked each other if ever there was such thing as "strawberry taho," suddenly a vendor spoke out "Straberry taho po?" we suddenly laughed since it was unexpected. Buyers had an option of either having "arnibal and sago" or "strawberry in syrup" to go with the taho. All of us tried it. I found it very unique. Natuwa ako masyado. (I was very thrilled.)





Another remarkable discovery was this place called
"50's Diner." This is where we had lunch
on our second day. It is located near Teacher's Camp and can be found along Brent Road. It is a 50's inspired diner. It's also cool because the owner who was called "tatay or lolo" by the resto employees also serves the customers. The food can be compared to servings of TGI Fridays or Chilli's but the price is way way lower. We actually thought that the food was served in small portions by using the price as basis, but we were wrong check out these pics to testify. We ended up bringing portions of the food home because we were unable to finish them.

2 comments:

  1. wow, I remember my Baguio barkada trip a few years ago. Awesome place and lots of nice resto too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try that strawberry taho when i get the chance to visit Baguio again.

    ReplyDelete