Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Nepal Getaway! (Day 1)

My First Trip to Nepal

Last February, I was tempted to book a flight and explore Nepal. Since I will only have less than a week left from my Spring Break in April, I decided that I will only be going for 5 days and four nights.

To save on flights, I managed to book with two different airlines. Usually, one gets to save more by booking a roundtrip ticket with the same airline, but this time I was proven wrong. I booked my flights to Nepal with Etihad Airways for QAR 800 (USD 220) and the flight coming back to Doha with Jet Airways for QAR 910 (USD250). Flying direct with Qatar Airways would have cost me double.

I departed from Doha (DOH) on the 21st of April at 4:35AM, had a 3-hour lay-over at Abu Dhabi's Airport. The flight from Abu Dhabi (AUH) to Kathmandu (KTM) took 4 hours. 


A beautiful sunrise over Abu Dhabi International Airport's Terminal 1.

EY290: AUH to KTM


I had my first taste of Nepalese food while on board Etihad Airways. I think this is one of Etihad's plus points for me. They don't just serve food - they serve food that is attuned to the taste buds of their clients' route. I had Fish masala served with  chicken pulao and haryala mutter. The food sounds and looks Indian, but the taste is distinct. Nepali food is less chilli, which is good, because you get to taste the other spices in the dish and appreciate it more.

The plane reached KTM at 3:45PM. At Tribhuvan Int'l Airport, I got my visa on arrival. It costs USD 25 for a 15-day visit visa. They give out the forms in the plane prior to landing so you can fill it out.  Immigration needs a passport size picture with light background. It's more convenient if you carry one with you when you get there. If you forget, there is a photo booth there so you can get your picture taken, but it takes time. When you get to immigration, line up where it says "visa payment collection." They will give you a receipt. Then line up to the appropriate immigration counter where they will get your form. The visa will be posted on your passport.




I spent my first two nights at Hotel Planet Bhaktapur. When I got out of the airport, my transport (through the same hotel) was already waiting for me. before I jumped into the car my driver, Vinod, said, "Before anything else, a welcome" then he hung a satin-like white scarf around my neck. I guess this was a form of welcome for tourists visiting Nepal. The drive from KTM to Bhaktapur was approximately 25 minutes. Bhaktapur is a quiet place compared to the busy street life of Kathmandu.
White scarf.
White scarf.


I was convinced to stay at the hotel through it's positive reviews online. While in my stay at the hotel, the reviews prove to be correct. The staff and management are very hospitable. They personalize their service for every guest. You will definitely feel right at home. They gave me tips of how to go about in Bhaktapur and other important information. It is a clean, cozy and very hospitable place. The staff are fluent in English and Italian. They receive a lot of Italian guests.

View from the hotel.

View from the hotel.

View from the hotel.

Hotel courtyard.



I did a little exploring of the neighborhood after I dropped my bags at the hotel. From the hotel to the historical city of Bhaktapur, it took me about 15 minutes by foot. At the main entrance of the city, you will be asked to pay Rs 1,500 (approx USD15). The ticket can be valid for 7 days, just ask the person in the booth to indicate that on the back of the ticket. I walked around the place for a few minutes. As I got nearer the Durbar Square I was amazed at the red bricked buildings around me. Upon reaching the square, it was breath taking. The place sent out it's own message translated through richness of the buildings, the culture and the history behind them.






I walked by to the hotel just in time before it got dark. The neighborhood seemed safe and tourist friendly. Got into the shower and had my dinner at the hotel's restaurant. I asked for a Nepali non-vegetarian set meal. The set came with rice, dal, mixed vegetable curry, seasonal green vegetable, choice of chicken or mutton curry, pickle, green salad, papad and Bhaktapur special yoghurt. They were all great! They even told me that I could have a refill if I wanted. I was already filled with the first serving, so I only had an extra serving of the yoghurt. The yoghurt was different and had a sweet taste, I liked it a lot.



Non Vegetarian Nepali Set Meal

Planet Bhaktapur Hotel

Planet Bhaktapur Hotel

Planet Bhaktapur Hotel

Planet Bhaktapur Hotel






No comments:

Post a Comment